Saturday, June 23, 2007

Firefly Watching

Here in Japan, firefly watching is an extreme crowd sport as is everything. Apparently the fireflies only come out around rivers and only upstream where it is cleaner. So what do we do here? We all ride a train and take a PACKED bus up the mountain to a little spot on a riverbank and crowd together to stare in awe as the little critters blink. COOL! Then after a little bit of time we pack back on the bus and head down the mountain and go home. No I didn't take pictures as it was too dark and too crowded.

Somehow it seems silly that anyone would go to so much trouble for this small bug. But maybe I am the silly one for taking them for granted back home where we had so many. They are beautiful and as I fought to catch only small glimpses here I realized that I have some sweet carefree memories of leisurely chasing them and catching as many as possible on long, warm, summer nights. Sometimes it really is the little things in life that make it great....

No comments: